Friday, August 14, 2009

Reign in Us

On Wednesday morning I woke up with a song playing in my head-Reign in Us. It has stayed with me all week and whenever my brain gets quiet or I have a minute, it floods into my thoughts. I love the chorus, but also the verse that sings out:

Spirit of the living God fall fresh again
come search our hearts and purify our lives
we need Your perfect love
we need Your discipline
we're lost unless You guide us with Your light

Returning to work last week was hard and this week brought classrooms full of sixth graders. This morning my reading gave me the question related to John 17:6 about how do I reveal God to those around me. I felt extremely resentful earlier this week about another task at school a coworker had "decided" would be a good thing for me to handle. My first thought was "how dare her dictate what she thinks I need to be doing". Now I do have a legitimate reason why I should not do this task, but in the end I decided that I should and I'm glad I did. Mainly I'm glad because I think it is what God wants me to do and I don't have to create conflict by not doing it. I know God gave me light this week by showing me he is in control and working in my life. I'm his and I don't have to react in a worldly way to the people I interact with each day in the world.

John 17: 6-10 6"I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. 8For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. 9I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you inspire, we can never know how we are supposed to make a difference, or stop trying, or listen for the moment that defines.
And yet the mystery can still be beautiful, and you captured that.

Heather of the EO said...

I just love your insight. Like deb said, you DO inspire.

Thank you so much for your comment on my The Stages post. Thank you for validating and suggesting that I allow myself the stages. I think that's a big part of this acceptance thing. Accepting Asher's situation and praying for peace, and accepting myself as a sometimes hurting mother.

Thank you.